Growing Suttons Cucumbers Seeds
A well looked after Cucumber plant will give you a steady supply from early summer through till September. Suttons have a large range of Cucumber varieties which provide a wide choice of tastes, shapes and sizes. ‘Bush Champion’ is an excellent compact plant superb for containers and small patio spaces. ‘Paska’ is organically produced seed that can be grown outside in a sunny sheltered position or if you have some Greenhouse space grow the more classical ‘Bella’
Growing Cucumbers from seed·
Cucumber is a tender plant, so it’s best starting cucumber seeds indoors, under-glass or into a heated propagator, one with cell compartments would be ideal. A decent free-draining peat-free seed compost will give them a strong start.
- Once they are putting on the growth, greenhouse Cucumbers can be transferred to large containers or planted out into borders that have plenty of Organic matter dug in.
- As they grow they should be trained up towards the roof with laterals tied to horizontal wires or strings. The tips of the laterals are usually pinched out after two leaves from the main stem
- All male flowers should be removed to encourage the forming Cucumbers
- Outdoor cucumbers can be supported by canes and ties into a framework
- It is most important to ensure that the plant receives no large shifts in temperature or uneven watering. Sudden changes will ‘check’ a Cucumber plant and slow down its progress
- Cucumbers enjoy a good feed, so a slow-release pellets such as Comfrey can be added to the soil and regular liquid feeds will produce a strong healthy plant. Start by using Seaweed extract and then swap over to Tomato feed once flowering begins
When to plant Cucumber seeds?
About three weeks after sowing, the cucumber plants can be planted outdoors in early June.
How long for cucumber seeds to germinate?
Cucumber germination takes 6 to 9 days.
Beware of mildew with Cucumbers - pick over any unhealthy-looking leaves. Whitefly may also pay a visit, if its prevalent use with an organic spray. Keep the watering steady, especially when the plants start to flower and before long, you’ll be eating fresh Cucumber through the summer months.
For info on how to get the best from your cucumber plants, check out our How to grow cucumbers guide.
Buy Cucumber seeds from Suttons