Why Grow Spinach From Seed?
Spinach can be grown in and around other ornamental plants, in troughs and inter-cropped with other edibles. Suttons have a great range of different types of spinach.
‘Perpetual’ – an old favourite and no reason not to be without this fantastic crop, it does exactly as its name suggests and can be grazed at will. Spinach ‘Amazon’ – great for kids, encouraging them to eat their greens. For something a bit different try ‘Gigante d’Inverno’ to complement rice dishes. Not to forget delicious baby spinach.
How To Grow Spinach UK?
- Sow spinach seeds in cool conditions as the soil begins to warm. Fork and finely raked the soil mixing in a few comfrey pellets or chicken pellets. As a leaf crop the will enjoy a Nitrogen feed. If sowing straight into situ in a drill then sow thickly and thin to correct spacing.
- Or its perfectly possible to sow in a seed tray, pricking them out when they are at their two-leaf stage and transplanting them to a fresh seed tray, spaced at 6 x 8 plants per tray. Growing them on like this may reduce pest attack, particularly from slugs. When they are nicely filled out in their tray, plant them out into open ground, in border gaps, in rows on the allotment or a raised bed.
- Watering is crucial especially if there is hot weather, this will prevent the plant from trying to set seed, known as bolting. Don't worry too much if your Spinach bolts in the hot weather, the seed packets are generous and re-sow once the weather has cooled.
- Seaweed meal raked into the soil can be a good idea also, particularly on heavy soils. Liquid feeds now again will also be beneficial.
- Graze your Spinach to get maximum use, cutting the older leaves. First, cut back for the kitchen and allow younger leaves to develop
How Long Does It Take To Grow Spinach From Seed?
Spinach seeds should germinate within 12 to 20 days and reach maturity within 4 to 14 weeks.
Why not plant Spinach around the feet of Sweetcorn, planted tightly together and letting the Corn rise out as dot plants. As there is generous amounts of seed in a Suttons packet you can grow Spinach in a number of scenarios, even on a trough on a patio or balcony. Repeat sowing all year round for a constant supply.
Buy Spinach Seeds UK from Suttons