Why grow Cabbage plant seeds?
Whether its spring, summer, winter, green or red, Suttons have a Cabbage seed. They come in all shapes and sizes and are truly International. Easily blended into either Salad, Chinese cabbage for Stir-fries or hot dinners, there is not much a Cabbage can’t do. Suttons have Cabbages that flavour up through the Winter like ‘Winter Jewel’ a loverly winter cabbage. Beautiful crisp red Cabbage ‘Tinty’, perfect for wraps and salads is the ‘summer jewel’, and not forgetting a favourite, the Savoy cabbage seeds. Just a few of the many choices on offer.
How to grow Cabbages from seed?
- Sow away from final growing position in a nicely prepared seedbed or a seed tray. When sown in a tray, prick them out into pots when big enough to handle.
- It’s good to sow Cabbage early in the spring with a view to planting out in early summer for cropping at the end of the year. There are many cabbage varieties so check your variety for details.
- Cabbages are hungry plants so it's a good idea to plant on soil where Legumes have been dug in the previous season. Or add slow-release fertiliser with good Nitrogen content.
- Protect your Cabbages as the birds, Caterpillars and slugs will take a shine to them. Use cloche, netting, Polytunnels as brassica cages, this will make sure you get the perfect Cabbage.
- Its good practice to remove any dead or dying leaves also, this will help prevent fungal issues developing on the leaves.
- A good tip is to plant aromatic herbs around your Cabbages to deter other creatures that make take a shine to them.
How deep to plant cabbage seed?
Sow in a seedbed at the depth of 13mm. Germination will take between 7 and 12 days. When the cabbage plants are big enough to handle they can be transplanted.
Cabbage is an important food staple in countries in the Northern hemisphere, they are full of nutrients, particularly Vitamins. They dislike acidic soils, so try a PH test and add plenty of Organic matter to raise the PH if required. As well as being incredibly fresh, Cabbages also store well in cool dry conditions.
Buy cabbage seeds UK from Suttons