Why Grow Alyssum Flowers From Seeds?
This is a delicate ground-hugging plant, but in the warmer months it will flower away without too much fuss. Plant into the top of walls, hanging basket or window boxes.
Suttons offer a choice of Alyssum colours from ‘Wandering star’ mix, a combination of white and soft pink. Then there is the classic ’Snow Carpet’ Alyssum, the Alyssum many people will recognise. Alyssum has a small trick up its sleeve, alyssum saxatile seeds, the perennial ‘Golden Queen’ is a good rockery plant whose bright yellow flowers appear in spring year after year.
Growing Alyssum From Seed
There are two ways to sow Alyssum seeds, under glass or in a heated propagator in a seed tray in seed tray good organic peat-free seed compost.
- Firm the compost and sieve over the top of the seed for a strong start. Label the seeds for good housekeeping. This plant can also be treated as a hardy annual, so sown in late spring.
- When growing as a half-hardy annual, in a greenhouse or propagator, pricking into a seed tray gives individual plants more space once the seedlings are up
- Gradually harden them off by airing them during the day, but protecting them at night. Until it’s time to plant out in the final position at the end of May
- These are hard-working plants with a long flowering period, will need regular watering to make sure you get the most out of them
- Make sure your substrate is both rich in nutrients and s free-draining soil. In open ground, dig organic matter into the soil. If growing in a container, a decent peat-free potting compost is required. A decent liquid feed every few weeks at the start of summer will really kick them off
- Alyssum are very low growing plants so keep them weed-free, so they don't get swamped by taller weeds.
Like all summer bedding plants that are heavy flowering, attention to watering is fundamental. An early morning check, particularly on containers is a great routine for irrigation and to keep plants healthy. The perennial Alyssum is a tougher plant that will grow in poorer soils and need less watering.
Buy Alyssum Seeds UK from Suttons