Why Grow Wallflowers From Seed?
Wallflower seeds are most effective when planted in decent numbers. Suttons give hundreds of seeds per packet and these easy to grow seeds make for stronger plants when grown locally in your garden. A park’s favourite that can be used on a smaller scale in large pots.
Suttons varieties ‘Persian carpet mix’, fragrant with red and gold colours. ‘Fire King’ is an exceptional deep red colour and ‘Cloth of gold’ has striking deep golden yellow flowers. Our dwarf wallflower seeds give you the ‘Lollipop’ ideal for borders and containers.
How to grow Wallflower plants from seed
Sow wallflowers seeds in late spring to mid-summer for flowering the following spring. Start in a seedbed away from the final growing spot
- Make sure the seed bed has a fine tilth for easy germination
- Transplant these plants in autumn in sun or partial shade and pinch out their growing tips to encourage bushiness. Add decent organic matter or well-rotted manure to the soil prior to planting. If underplanting with bulbs put those in first and plant Wallflowers over the top for a cracking bedding display
- On heavy soils, Wallflowers will benefit from horticultural grit and Seaweed meal being forked in. A light organic mulch can also be applied
- Deadheading Wallflowers once the flowering period begins will help maintain colour. Beware of flea beetle when the plants are young, protect with fleece
- Traditionally at the end of the season, they are dug up and added to the compost heap but can let self-seed
Wallflower seeds should germinate within 7 to 14 days. As the seedlings grow, thin in stages to achieve final spacing of 15cm so the plants can grow nice and bushy. In the early autumn pinch out the main growing point and transplant the plant to their flowering positions, 30cm apart.
This versatile plant is easy to grow and takes the cold winter months to produce an impressive display in springtime, marking the start of the growing season. Wallflowers are great news for pollinators as the early season flowers are a great source of nectar.
You may also like to see our Wallflower flower plant range
Buy Wallflower seeds UK from Suttons