Why Grow Kale From Seed?
A Veggie that needs no flower or fruit to earn its place in the garden. All its goodness comes from its green leaves. Suttons offer an array of kale varieties to grow, from curly kale to pinks and grey greens of ‘Buttonhole Starmaker‘ to the strong and resilient ‘Black Magic’ and the ‘Peacock White’. These elegant plants can be used as dot plant in a container surrounded by some colourful bedding or spotted through a mixed border. It is grazed by snipping out the new growth and transported to the kitchen.
How do I Grow Kale Plants From Seed?
- Sow in a seed tray and propagator/greenhouse. Sow kale seeds in April to May for a steady winter crop
- Use a decent peat-free seed compost and sieve over the seeds, gently firm with a tamper to make sure they get a good strong start
- Prick out the young seedlings and transplant them gently with a dibber into pots and grow on until June, place in a cold frame if possible
- In preparation for final planting, pick a good spot in the garden or veg plot & fork in some good organic matter. Some slow-release Comfrey pellet can also be added.
- When the Kale plants are at 4 plus leaf stage, these sturdy strong plants can be transported to their prepared spot
- When planting, firm in properly and thoroughly water in. Use a watering can with a Rose attachment to avoid washing out the soil
How do I look after Kale Plants?
Keeping young plants moist is important for Kale development, watering deeply in the cool early mornings or dusk conditions. Add a mulch or Organic Nitrogen feed. Watch out for Pigeons if they are about a net will be required.
Should I grow Kale In Containers Or Pots?
Most Kales are happy to grow in containers, so limited space does not mean you can have access to this delicious veggie. Don't worry if they look a bit sad in the summer, as the weather cools these plants really come into their own.
Buy Kale Seeds Online from Suttons