What makes Nicotiana seeds special?
Nicotiana can be a border plant but also sits well in containers. In a range of colours from reds to subtle whites and pinks. Suttons provide an incredible amount of tiny seeds per packet allowing you to enjoy this plant in abundance. Some packets have up to 2000 seeds.
A couple of great varieties are ‘Evening Fragrance mix’ which have a mix of red, pink and white fragrant flowers. Or try ‘Affinis’ a pure white flower perfect for the garden at dusk.
How Do You Plant Nicotiana Seeds?
A half hardy annual that needs to be sown under glass or in a propagator early in the spring.
- Sow seeds thickly in a seed tray with peat-free compost, firm down with a tamper but don't cover up, they need light to germinate. These plants have a fast germination time which can be 48 hours
- Once the nicotiana seedlings are up, prick out and space out in seed trays, 6 across and 8 down in peat-free potting compost
- Small nicotiana plants will be ready to go out after all danger of frost has passed in late May
- Harden off in a cold frame if possible, it’s important to keep moist while the plants are young. When the plants are at the six-leaf stage they will benefit from a liquid feed, preferably Seaweed extract. You can swap to a comfrey spray later in the season if you feel more fertiliser is required
- Site in well-drained soil in full sun. Nicotiana dislikes waterlogged conditions so if in open ground add horticultural grit and a soil improver like Seaweed meal. If growing in containers use a decent peat-free potting compost.
- Snip off dead flower heads once they become spent to encourage further flowering
- Watch out for Whitefly, use glue traps or organic deterrent spray
How Long Do Nicotiana Seeds Take To Germinate
Nicotiana seeds should germinate within 10 to 14 days. Transplant the seedlings into trays 5cm apart, leaving them to grow on. Nicotiana plants need to be acclimatised to outside conditions before planting out at 45 to 60cm apart.
Large pots filled with Nicotiana flowers and placed on a sunny patio are really stunning. Sit out with a glass of wine on a summer evening and enjoy the colour and scent of this charming plant. Can cut back and mulch at the end of the season which may help the plant to overwinter if in a sheltered position.
You may also be interested in viewing our Nicotiana flower plants range
Buy Nicotiana seeds UK from Suttons