What makes Cauliflower seeds special?
Cauliflower is versatile and full of vitamins. Suttons offer many cauliflower varieties not just the classic white cauliflowers like ‘Snowball’ but also ‘Igloo’, a smaller head but full of taste especially when they are just off the plant. Plus for something a bit different try the seed of the almost surreal looking Romanesco Cauliflower seeds.
How to grow Cauliflowers from seed?
- Cauliflowers work well when sown in a seed bed. Prepare a cold frame with forked and raked in soil from April to May. You can sow late summer & overwinter in a cold frame also
- Broadcast the seed over the seedbed (to sow seed, stand with your back to the breeze and flick the seed out at waist height) Sow about ¾ inch deep (2cm), taking care to spread them evenly.
- Transplant your Cauliflowers when big enough to handle or to prevent Slug damage, grow them on until there are around six leaved small plants.
- For their final growing spot, dig in some good organic matter / Well-rotted manure into the planting area. Sprinkle a few Comfrey pellets .
- Give them good Spacing, they need room to grow and like most veg enjoy the sunshine so avoid planting to near trees or hedges.
- It’s important to consolidate Cauliflowers well so make sure you firm the freshly planted soil well around the plant. Water in thoroughly.
Taking care of your Cauliflowers
Keep an eye out for caterpillars and Pigeons, a decent net or cage for protection will help. Why not try making a Scarecrow as a family activity?
It’s good to pick over any dead or yellowing leaves. Timing of harvest is important, keep a close eye and before Florets start to uncurl use a sharp knife to cut through the stem below the flower.
How long does it take cauliflower to grow from seed?
Cauliflower seeds take around 20 to 26 weeks to reach maturity
Buy Cauliflower Seeds UK from Suttons