Further information: Tulip Bulbs.
Where to grow Tulip Bulbs?
- Tulip bulbs thrive best in full sun
- Well-drained soil
- Add lime to acid soil
- Protect from strong winds
- Grow Tulip bulbs in beds, on rockeries or in containers
How to grow Tulip Bulbs?
- Plant Tulip bulbs in later autumn, from November to December
- The planting depth varies depending on the size of the bulb
- Space the bulbs 10-20cm apart
- Feed when buds appear and again when flowering has finished
- Water regularly in dry periods
- Tulips are perfect for cutting
- Remove dead flowers and foliage
- Tulip bulbs can be left in the ground or lifted and kept in a cool dry place
Tulips are the the embodiment of a British spring garden, but did you know that they have their humble origins in the mountains of Kazakhstan? And did you know that in the early 17th century, when 'tulip mania' hit Holland, prices of the recently introduced Tulip bulbs soared, some single Tulip bulbs selling for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman!
Today there are literally thousands of varieties available, in a stunning array of colours and forms. we have pulled together our most favourite varieties to help you plant ony the best Tulips for your garden.